Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Book 13: A Raisin in the Sun


A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry


I'll admit it: I never read this in school. That being said, I'm not entirely surprised. It is so forward in its issues, in the talk and feel of discouragement and power. It's one of those texts that teachers want to teach but know isn't easy--the parent complaints, mob mentality. The things that you have to preface and learn every page along the way.

I read this in one night--as a play that is only suitable. I was concerned that I'd have trouble following it because I'm a prose reader, novels all the way. Drama and character dialogue can get confusing. I was never lost. In fact, I was so on the story and the turning of the plot that I even speculated what was happening.

"She's pregnant, isn't she."
"She's going to have an abortion, isn't she."
"He's going to take all the money, isn't he."

For being the first classic of the summer, the first book on a short list of classics I missed in school and need for my exam, I'm pleasantly surprised. Impressed. Really impressed.

I'm almost certain book 14 wont follow it well.

No comments: