Sunday, March 22, 2009

Book 5: A Tale of Two Cities

Book 5


0451526562.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
A Tale of Two Cities
Charles Dickens


I don't know why I selected this book, but I thought it would be a good idea. Dickens rarely disappoints, so I gave it a shot.

I can't say it wasn't any good, but there sheer volume of this tome became the biggest hindrance in finishing it. The serialized nature of it all made me jump too much, had me scanning for meaning and plot and missing the subtitles I should have been enjoying. It came across cryptic, yet solid.

My only real comment is that I had no idea so many well known quotes came from it. I obviously was aware of the first line (and page for that matter, which was striking like a Nabokovian ramble is), but the end lines, the final pages...

The far, far better thing I do: move on to the next book. Oscar Wilde, you own my heart.

No comments: